Our weekly feature includes photographs from the Ocean City Historical Museum collection and from the modern era.
This week's "Then and Now" features the building located on the northeast corner of 13th Street and Asbury Avenue. The home shown in the first image was known as the Rutherford House and was taken circa 1895. The sign on the front of the home has: Jos. G. Champion- Architect. The second image shows the fire that destroyed the home on April 3, 2005. Due to the damage sustained, it was torn down. It is currently an empty lot as seen in the third image. To see more historical photos of Ocean City, visit the Ocean City Historical Museum in the Community Center, located at 1735 Simpson Ave.
An additional five condos were threatened in the blaze.
An intense fire burned out the top floor of a condominium at West 55th Street in Ocean City Saturday afternoon at about 2 p.m.. The two-alarm fire burned through the roof of Unit 139 of Ocean Village South and caused smoke and water damage to the bottom floor. But firefighters were able contain the fire to just the one unit and there were no injuries. Heavy smoke and fire were showing on the second floor when the first-in units arrived, according to Ocean City Fire Department Deputy Chief Bill Bowman. Firefighters broke out windows, venting the roof and hosing down flames in the kitchen and bathroom area of the condo, he said. Firefighters were called by workman at a unit two doors down from Unit 139 who smelled smoke. The condo is less …