The Ocean City Community Center will be open to area teens 7 to 10 p.m. Friday (Jan. 24) as part of the new "Fridays With Friends" program that will include music, movies, workout programs, swimming and just hanging out together.
The first "Friday With Friends" was held Jan. 10 at the Community Center (1735 Simpson Avenue), and subsequent dates are Feb. 7 and 21, March 7 and 21.
The event is for Ocean City and Upper Township students 14 to 18 years old. Teens must show their school identification, but there is no cost to participate.
For three hours, the area teens will be able to hang out with friends and choose from listening to music, watching a movie, playing Xbox Kinect, taking a workout class and jumping in the pool, among other activities. Yianni’s Cafe will stay open until 9 p.m., and participants will be able to purchase energy drinks and other snacks.
The schedule for Friday includes:
- 7 PM - 10 PM: DJ and pizza at 8 PM
- 7:15 - 8:45 PM: Movie - Anchorman - Library Theater
- 7:30 - 8:30 PM: Surfset Fitness Workout (A&F Group EX)
- 8:30 - 9:30 PM: Swim (A & F Pool)
- 7:00 - 10:00 PM: Table Tennis, Stack Cups & more!
- Lounge area: Practice and Perform Pitch Perfect cup song, card games. Guess who is going to win the Super Bowl — Win a Prize.
The coordinating groups for the new program are:
- Municipal Alliance Committee
- Ocean City Police Department and Community Policing Unit
- Ocean Cty Free Public Library
- Ocean City Aquatic and Fitness Center
- Ocean City Recreation