STATEMENT BY MAYOR JAY A. GILLIAN ON MASTER PLAN RE-EXAMINATION REPORT
I would like to thank the Planning Board for their time and efforts in completing a comprehensive Master Plan Re-examination Report. This work, which began back in August of 2011, involved many hours of study and discussion by the board members and their professionals.
Overall, the report provides an opportunity to enhance and promote what makes Ocean City a desirable community for both resident families and visitors to our resort.
I especially appreciate those sections of the report that accomplish the following:
- An emphasis on single family housing.
- Specific recommendations intended to improve opportunities for re-investment and business retention in the central business district.
- Reduction of nonconforming uses.
- A reduction in the complexity of the code.
- Standards that encourage further improvements to the gateways of the city.
- A greater ability to improve and remodel existing housing stock.
In the coming weeks and months, the administration will work with the Planning Board and City Council to enact significant portions of the report. We will do this in an open and clear manner that provides ample opportunity for further public input.
— City of Ocean City
The Planning Board approved the Master Plan Re-Examination on Oct. 17. City Council will consider the first round of recommendations on Oct. 23.