An existing ordinance already bans smoking at the city's indoor facilities such as the Ocean City Music Pier and Ocean City Sports and Civic Center.
Representatives of the city's Advisory Council on Physical Fitness and Sports had asked City Council to consider the measure last month as part of a "Breathe Easy Campaign."
The first reading passed in a unanimous vote on Thursday (Sept. 12). A public hearing and potentially final vote is scheduled for the City Council meeting of Sept. 26.
The ordinance bans smoking at facilities "including, but not limited to":
- Bayside Center (500 block of Bay Avenue)
- Carey Stadium (Ocean City High School)
- Ocean City Municipal Golf Course (26th Street and Bay Avenue)
- Tennessee Avenue Boat Ramp
- Sixth Street Playground and Recreational Facility
- 58th Street Beach Pavilion
- North Street and Simpson Avenue Playground
- 15th Street and Bay Avenue Playground
- 34th Street and Asbury Avenue Playground
- 52nd Street Playground
- Richard Grimes Field (Sixth Street and Haven Avenue)
- Emil Palmer Field (15th Street and Simpson Avenue)
- Harry Vanderslice Baseball Complex (35th Street and Haven Avenue)
- Basketball Courts at North Street, Sixth, Eighth, 15th, 18th, 34th and 52nd Streets
- Tennis Courts at Sixth, 18th and 35th Streets
- Shuffleboard Courts at Sixth Street and Boardwalk
- Veterans Memorial Park (at Fifth Street and Wesley Avenue)
- Waterfront Park and Marina (at Second Street and Bay Avenue)
- Ocean City Dog Park (at 45th Street and Haven Avenue)