- Breathe Easy Campaign: Representatives from the city's Advisory Council on Physical Fitness and Sports asked City Council to consider an ordinance banning smoking at public parks and recreation fields. Councilman Scott Ping said he would like to sponsor such an ordinance, and the entire council appeared receptive to the measure.
- City Hall Restoration: Contractors will begin staging on Monday for a $1.2 million restoration of City Hall's first floor, which was flooded by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012. The project should be complete in about six months, Business Administrator Mike Dattilo reported. The redesigned building will include public restrooms and "one-stop shopping" for city business. See floor plan for the new first floor of City Hall.
- New "No Turn on Red" Intersection: City Council approved the first reading of an ordinance that would prevent cars heading from Ninth Street toward 34th Street on West Avenue from turning right on red at the intersection of 29th Street and West Avenue. The measure is designed to keep cars from cutting through neighborhoods between Bay and West avenues. Second reading of the ordinance is scheduled for Sept. 12.
- Safe Bike Routes: The city administration reported that it had received citizen feedback from a recent public forum on safe biking in Ocean City. Business Administrator Mike Dattilo said City Council could expect to consider taking action on two proposed projects in the coming months: designation of a safe bike route from the north end of the island to Battersea Road and a possible reconfiguration of West Avenue at the south end of the island.
- City Salaries: City Council gave final approval to an ordinance that increases the salaries of city supervisors and directors who have not seen raises in years.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something