This week's "Then an Now" features the Ocean City Yacht Club. The club was officially incorporated in 1901 and originally was located at Sixth Street and Bay Avenue.
The building featured in the first picture was the original clubhouse constructed at Bay Road and Battersea Road. According to the club's website, the cornerstone for the "Grand Dame Club House" was laid on June 13, 1912. It was severely damaged in a hurricane that struck Ocean City in September 1944. As a result of the lack of material and manpower during World War II, the building was not rebuilt until 1947.
The current clubhouse was a basic cinder-block building with a flat roof when it was originally constructed in 1947. It underwent a major renovation and addition in the late 1960s and again in 1992 to its current appearance shown in the second picture, designed by architect Mark Asher, Asher Associates Architects.
To see more historical photos of Ocean City, visit the Ocean City Historical Museum in the at 1735 Simpson Ave.