Ocean City is back up and running a month after Superstorm Sandy struck, and its annual schedule of special events for the holidays continues uninterrupted.
Some highlights include:
ONGOING THROUGH DEC. 23
- Photos With Santa in a Lifeguard Boat (every Saturday and Sunday through Dec. 16): Noon to 3 p.m. at the Ocean City Music Pier, Boardwalk at Moorlyn Terrace. Photos are $10 and are printed, mounted and available immediately.
- Free Horse-and-Carriage Rides (every Saturday and Sunday): Noon to 3 p.m. at City Hall, Ninth Street and Asbury Avenue.
- Breakfast with Santa (every Saturday and Sunday): At a different downtown restaurant, 8:15 to 11:15 a.m. Call (609) 398-4662 for information.
- 2012 Holiday Spectacular (Dec. 14-16): The annual favorite returns in a new production. A cast of professional singers and dancers celebrate the season with a fully staged musical revue of holiday hits. High energy choreography, spectacular costumes and outstanding talent come together on the Ocean City Music Pier stage to create a highlight of the holiday season. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors and children under 12. Call (609) 525-9300.
- Hospitality Nights (Dec. 14 and 21): 5 to 8 p.m in the Downtown.
- Sindia Day (Dec. 16): Learn more about the sinking of the ship 111 years ago off 17th Street. Sindia Day is 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Ocean City Historical Museum. It's free and includes refreshments.
- “Yours Truly, Jack Frost” (Dec. 22): Michael Hartman’s Ocean City Theatre Company has also scheduled shows at the Ocean City Music Pier for 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. All tickets are $10 available at www.ocnj.us or by calling (609) 525-9300 or visiting the 2nd Floor of City Hall, Community Services offices. Jack Frost saves Christmas by outwitting the evil Evilina. Fully staged play features talented youngsters from third to 8th grades. For information and tickets call (609) 525-9300.
- "A Christian Carol" (Dec. 23): St. Peter's United Methodist Church will present "A Christian Carol" at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 23. The church is at Eighth Street and Central Avenue. With parallels to Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," the show offers a time to learn the meaning of Christmas by song, story and sight. Come celebrate Christmas and Christians Past, Present and Future.
- Free Christmas Buffet (Dec. 25): Peaches Lukens of Ocean City has organized a Good Samaritan Christmas Buffet in Ocean City for 23 years. All are invited to this event held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., on Christmas Day at St. Peters Methodist Church, 8th and Central Ave. No reservations are required and “our home cooked meal is free to all who need company, a good meal and some great cheer,” says Peaches. There will be live entertainment and all the food you can eat! Take-outs and deliveries are available. Transportation to and from dinner provided. Handicapped access. “We hope you’ll come and join us,” says Peaches. For more information, call (609) 398-8781.
- First Night (Dec. 31): Ocean City's gala New Year's Eve Celebration is set once again for the holiday. Enjoy an extensive entertainment program beginning at 4 p.m. and concluding at midnight with fireworks. Buttons are $15, available now at the Chamber of Commerce Building on Ninth Street across from TD Bank, call (609) 399-1412. There is an Angel Fund for those who cannot afford First Night Buttons, call 609-525-9300. See more.