Here's our summer countdown and update on the Ocean City beaches, boardwalk and businesses that are ready to make another summer of great memories.
Check out the images in the photo gallery above to see the beaches as they look today, and check back for regular updates as crews continue to work on the northern and southern ends of the island.
Ocean City's annual Spring Block Party on Asbury Avenue is scheduled for Saturday, May 4, and will provide a great chance for visitors to see how much the island has recovered from October's Superstorm Sandy.
Just 24 days until the start of Memorial Day Weekend on Saturday, May 25.
North End: As of Wednesday (May 1), a beach replenishment project on the north end has reached the Seventh Street jetty. The widened beaches start on the northern end of the island at the jetty at Seaspray Road and work will continue southward to 14th Street. The project is expected to be complete by Memorial Day, but work has experienced some mechanical and weather delays. (The gallery above includes recent photos and video showing the progress of the work.)
Central: Wide and healthy dune systems helped the central part of the island escape significant erosion from Sandy. While damaged portions of the dunes will need to be restored, the beaches are ample. (The gallery above shows a recent photo from 26th Street.)
South End: As of Wednesday (May 1), an outside contractor (South State, Inc., of Bridgeton, $1.1 million contract) was continuing to haul 60,000 cubic yards of new sand to the southern beaches. The contractor has stockpiled mounds of sand between 49th and 57th streets and is expected to complete that part of the process up to 59th Street in the next week. The sand will be spread and contoured across the beaches. Crews are beginning to shape sand ramps over the protective berms at the back of the beach. Major work is expected to be completed by May 24 with sand-fence installation in late May and June. (The photo gallery above includes recent photos from April 30.)
Here are some businesses that will open for the season in the coming weeks (owners can email firstname.lastname@example.org with new updates on opening dates):
- The Pavilion: The hotel will open for the season on May 1 (at 801 Atlantic Ave.)
- Mike's Seafood: Will open for the season on May 3 (at 208 E. 55th Street)
- Sandwich Bar: Will open for the season on May 3 with free fries with sandwich purchase on May 4 and 5 (at 3255 Asbury Avenue)
- Berenato's Corner Deli: Will open for the season on May 13 (at First Street and Atlantic Avenue)
- The Chatterbox: Will have a soft opening in mid-April and a grand opening on Block Party Weekend on May 4 (at Ninth Street and Central Avenue)
- Crazy Susan's Cookies: Will open May 4 during Block Party Weekend (on West Avenue at 13th Street)
Here are some businesses that have already opened for the season:
- Dot's Pastry Shop: Reopened the weekend of April 20-21 (at 31st and Asbury)
- Primo Hoagies: Reopened March 15 after storm repairs (at 656 Asbury Avenue)
- Hoy's 5 & 10: Opened on Saturday, April 13 (at 732 Asbury Avenue)
- Periwinkles Restaurant: Opened for the season on April 12 (on the beach block of Ninth Street)
- Mallon's Homemade Sticky Buns: Opened Easter Weekend (at 14th Street and Bay Avenue)
- Old Salt Gift Shop: Opened for the season on March 2 (on the Boardwalk at 13th Street)
- Philly Pretzel Factory: Now open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekends through spring (in front of Gillian's Wonderland Pier at Sixth Street and Boardwalk)
- Cousin's Restaurant: Opened for weekends on Friday, April 5 (at First Street and Asbury Avenue)
- Brown's Restaurant: Opened Saturday, March 30 (at St. Charles Place and Boardwalk)
- Voltaco's: Opened Thursday, March 28 (at 10th Street and West Avenue)
- Spadafora's Seafood Market: Opened Thursday, March 28 (at Ninth Street and Haven Avenue)
- Ocean City Coffee Company: Opened on Friday, March 29 (Boardwalk between Ninth and 10th streets)
- 16th Street Seafood: Opened on Thursday, March 28 (at 16th Street and Haven Avenue)
- Shriver's Gelato: Opened Easter Weekend (at 846 Boardwalk)
- Bookateria Two: Opened Thursday, March 28 (year-round shop reopening after storm repairs at 1052 Asbury Avenue)
- Fractured Prune: Opened Easter Weekend (at 1225 Asbury Avenue)
- Kessel's Korner: Opened in mid-March (at 28th Street and Asbury Avenue)
- Fox Real Estate: Opened its offices on Brighton Place and at 3301 Asbury Avenue
- Island Grill: Opened at First Street and Atlantic Avenue
Check for more seasonal openings in this article.
The Ocean City Boardwalk was spared any significant damage from Sandy. Shops and eateries are opening as usual with most open on weekends and some weekdays weather-permitting. Playland's Castaway Cove and Gillian's Wonderland Pier are opening limited rides on weekends.
Get Ocean City headlines and updates in your Facebook news feed: "Like" Ocean City Patch
Subscribe to our free morning newsletter: Ocean City Patch newsletter