Pasternak, 30, won the 22.5-mile paddleboard race around Absecon Island with a time of three hours, 59 minutes, 22 seconds. He received $1,000 for his first place finish.
Ocean City’s Jason Chew, 39, was second in the Men’s Stand Up Paddleboard 14-foot-and-under division with a time of 4:18.28, two minutes behind Brigantine’s Sven Peltonen (4:16.50).
He received $500 for his second place finish.
Third place finishers in each division earned $250.
A record turnout of 56 competitors helped the foundation raise $60,000 for cancer research. Each competitor was required to raise at least $200 in pledges to participate in the Paddle For a Cause.
The top fundraisers were team Breaststrokers who raised a total of $6,215. The team is captained by Erika Salminen of Northfield and consists of Samantha Budd of Margate, Madeline Howard of Margate, Kasey Jeansonne of Brigantine, Shilo Lord of Egg Harbor Township, Danyl Loyle of Palermo, Cheryl McBride of Margate and Pamela Tracey of Somers Point.
The event was presented by he Lagana Family in loving memory of Judith Lagana and Barista’s Coffee House.
The course was designed by event-founder Mike May in 2008. May said there were only seven participants that year for the event to raise funds to assist Dean Randazzo in his battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.
“I have to thank the board members – without all their help, this couldn’t happen,” said Randazzo of Atlantic City.
Board President Paul Giunta of Somers Point was also among the 8-mile paddlers.
“I am blown away how the paddle community comes together for the DRCF, raising $60,000 at one event is a true testament to all our supporters,” Giunta said. “This money will be put to good use helping people financially so they can focus on healing.”
Winners in the Men’s Prone Paddleboard division were:
1. Brian Pasternak, 30, of Ocean City
2. Thomas O’Neill, 24, of Malverne, N.Y. (04:10:12)
3. Billy Auty, 41, of North Wildwood (04:29:04)
Winners in the Men’s Stand Up Paddleboard 14-foot and under division were:
1. Sven Peltonen, 37, of Brigantine
2. Jason Chew, 39, of Ocean City (04:18:28)
3. Ryan Oliver, 40, of Toms River (04:19:53)
Winners in the Women’s SUP division were:
1. Kira Daugherty, 25, of Galloway (06:09:20)
2. Josetta Lata, 44, of Pine Beach, N.J. (06:26:29)
Winners in the open Paddleboard division were:
1. Pete Dodimead, 54, of Willingboro,
2. William McArthur, 70, of Lewes, Del. (05:33:31)
3. Richard Sless of Linwood and his brother Steven Sless of Phoenix, Md.
Winners in the 12-foot, six-inch Stand Up Paddleboard division were:
1. Quintin Chiapperino, 17, of
Frederiksted, St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands (04:49:03)
2. Tom Forkin, 51, of Atlantic City (05:40:35)
3. Jeffrey Taylor, 64, of Hypoluxo, Fla. (06:00:00)