I have been on a happiness kick for fall after a long, hard-working (but fun and productive) summer. I started back my weekly sessions with Shanti, my spiritual advisor. I have been reading every secret to happiness book, blog, article-you name it.
I have even (don’t tell my husband!) been getting weekly hot stones massages with our amazing therapist at Exodus — what a true hour of happiness that is. I can say it is a process of letting go of the old and paving way for the new. I have come across some amazing information that makes perfect sense and I want to share it with you.
Happiness is our birthright. Everyone is worthy of experiencing bliss. Anyone who chooses can live a balanced, joyous, fulfilling life. It seems like such a simple concept, yet as we know, it is far harder and complex than it sounds. To live a life of peace and bliss takes self-awareness, self-development and acceptance. In reading Yogi Shanti Desai’s Book, Personal to Global Transformation, I found clear guidance for Waking Up and Finding Happiness Within.
- Accept yourself. By accepting yourself you discover your hidden potentials. You are perfect as you are.
- Love yourself. Acceptance allows you the opportunity to love yourself. Be grateful for the gifts of life.
- Feel worthy. When you accept and love yourself you start to feel worthy. Realize health and happiness are your birthrights.
- Stop running. Stop running in an outward direction. The world provides only illusions of happiness followed by suffering. An imperfect and impermanent world cannot provide everlasting peace.
- Practice aloneness within the self. Go inward and make friendship with yourself. Cultivate inner stillness by restraining speech and observing silence. The journey inward to self can provide intuition and bliss.
- Utilize breath and awareness for personal transformation. You can learn to utilize breath and awareness to bring you in the present moment and experience reality as it is. Life itself becomes a flowing meditation.
- You are the co-creator of your destiny. We are connected with the cosmos. Cosmic laws of Karma govern the universe. What we sow we reap. There are no shortcuts. We project our reality with our mind, desires and intentions. Turn your wishes and hopes into focused desires. Let desires turn into will power and let dynamic action come into fruition.
- Satsang. You should associate with people who inspire and guide you. Practice with a group for support. Study inspiration material daily. Avoid associations that disturb your personal journey.
We need to nurture our self and our life. We should make ourself a priority and take time each day to make friendship with our body and mind and find harmony in life. This seemingly selfish activity will prepare you as an instrument to serve your family and society. Accept responsibility and find happiness within.
Shanti will be holding Personal Transformation workshops October 14 and 28th. 9am-3pm. For more information check out www.yogishantidesai.com.
(Amy Godfrey owns Exodus Integrated Wellness, a fitness and wellness business designed to improve the lives of clients through education and prevention in an integrated, holistic environment.)