1. Use guided imagery or positive self talk. Imagining a happy, peaceful, stress-free place has been found to reduce significant amounts of stress in the mind and body. With the guidance of a professional or an imagery tape, you can get into a deeply relaxed state and tune into your subconscious mind to find inner peace.
2. Meditate daily. Meditation restores the mind and body to a calm, relaxed state helping the body repair itself from the damages of stress.
3. Deep breathing. Breathing Exercises are a great way to slow down, bring awareness to yourself and heal yourself with this vital energy.
4. Get organized. Being organized for your day is a huge way to relieve huge stress. Putting in the effort to get organized in all areas of your life will help you avoid unwanted mistakes, scrambling last-minute for things or rushing through your life unconsciously.
5. Exercise. Any form of exercise increases the levels of serotonin in the body helping you feel happy, vibrant and ready to face the challenges of life.
6. Eat a balanced diet. A poor diet can trigger stress-release hormones that raise your blood pressure, increase heart rate and leave you feeling tired and deprived. A balanced diet can bring you greater physical, mental and emotional wellness.
7. Enjoy aromatherapy. The power of smell has proven benefits for stress relief — it can help you to become energized, more relaxed, or more present.
8. Music therapy. Music can alter your mindset in ways that help you to relieve stress. Find music that makes you feel good and energized.
9. Journaling. Writing things down allows you to express your thoughts and feelings and gain valuable self-knowledge.
10. Be Positive. Surround yourself with positive people, places and things and you will find that you feel better mentally, physically and emotionally.
Join us for our Community Stress Free Living Event from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, April 28. Complimentary classes, workshops and lectures at Exodus in Ocean City.
Amy Godfrey is owner of Exodus Integrated Wellness, a fitness and wellness business designed to improve the lives of clients through education and prevention in an integrated, holistic environment.