It is so inspiring to watch the athleticism, strength, speed, grace, perfection and determination of the competitors in the Olympics.
To see what the human body is actually capable of performing is motivation to take your training to the next level.
Most Olympians have workouts that involve six to seven days a week of intensive training, often with multiple workouts per day. They exercise even when they don’t want to; they continue to train (with adjustments) through injuries; and prioritize their lives in order to reach their goals.
You do not have to be an Olympian to improve your overall fitness and wellness plan, but you can learn how to structure your training to be the best you can be.
Here are five ways to bring out your inner Olympian:
- Be Disciplined and Determined: These athletes are highly determined and let nothing stop them from reaching their goal. The desire to succeed surpasses any desire to make bad choices. They delay gratification and sacrifice comforts for ultimate success.
- Find Joy: Olympians want to do better because they are internally motivated — they love what they do. Most athletes compete against themselves rather than their opponents. They try and be the best they can be ultimately to satisfy their own desires.
- Be Positive: Olympians focus on what they are gaining with all their hard work, not on what they losing.They believe in themselves and their dreams.
- Have High Standards: Set goals that are achievable but push you to excel. Create a long-term fitness plan to reach these goals. Take it one small step at a time, gradually progressing
- Develop a Comprehensive Lifestyle: Exercise is just one small part of the equation of health and fitness. Nutrition, sleep, recovery, stress-free living and overall balance are crucial for peak performance and a high-quality lifestyle.
Use these Olympic tools to unlock your true potential mentally and physically.
Exodus Integrated Wellness will be hosting Olympic Fitness Games on Saturday, Sept. 1. Events include weightlifting, track and field, biking time trial and a pentathlon. Check website for details.
Amy Godfrey is owner of Exodus Integrated Wellness, a fitness and wellness business designed to improve the lives of clients through education and prevention in an integrated, holistic environment.