Join us as we share real-time updates from a post-Sandy Q&A session with a panel consisting of city officials, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) representatives, insurance agents and real estate industry experts from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday, Jan 26.
The live event will be held at the Ocean City Free Public Library. But news from the event will be updated in the discussion board above.
(Editor's note: I'll do my best to transcribe and summarize what is being said as it happens. And my apologies in advance for typos, omissions and other bits of confusion. I'll ask readers to wait until the session is over at 11 a.m. to ask questions. At that point, I'll have a little more time to describe the news from the event.)
Readers can post comments, ask questions and upload photos and videos to this live chat after 11 a.m.
We'll open the discussion board at 9:30 a.m. Saturday — when the event starts. To see previous entries, scroll up.
The event is described as follows by the sponsoring Ocean City Community Association:
Two-and-a-half months after Superstorm Sandy, Ocean City residents and property owners have many more questions than answers as to the restoration or reconstruction of their properties. Questions include:
- How long will the city continue providing dumpsters and storm-related curbside waste collection?
- When will recycling return to previous separation requirements?
- What evidence of decontamination will be required by rental agencies and/or the city from rental property owners?
- What restoration work requires licensed contractors and/or permits from the city?
- By when must an insurance claim be filed, and how is the payout calculated?
- What are the effects of the city’s latest "base flood elevation" ordinance?
- How will our property taxes be affected by the costs associated with the storm?
Ocean City residents and property owners are encouraged to attend and participate in the discussion.
Slated to participate:
- Ocean City Mayor Jay Gillian
- Ocean City Business Administrator Michael Dattilo
- Ocean City Finance Director Frank Donato
- FEMA subject matter experts
- President of the Ocean City Board of Realtors Kevin Redmond
- Representatives of the McMahon and Heist insurance agencies
Get Ocean City updates in your news feed on Facebook: "Like" Ocean City Patch.
Follow us on Twitter: Ocean City Patch.
Subscribe to our free morning newsletter: Ocean City Patch.