Ocean City Theatre Company Finds Its Home on Asbury
The five-year-old company moves into a permanent space where it can rehearse and maintain business operations.
The Ocean City Theatre Company welcomed crowds into their new home at 854 Asbury Avenue on Saturday.
Michael Hartman, artistic director of the company, chose the permanent office space and information center after searching for a couple months. Since its formation in 2008, the company has not had an office or permanent rehearsal space. This year, the company will celebrate its fifth year of operation.
"I am most excited for our three Broadway shows, because they are large 'wow factor' shows," Hartman said. "I am also excited for our junior company's performance of Xanadu. The kids will get to do a master class with our Broadway on the Boards star Mary Testa, who did the whole Broadway run of the show."
The space includes a welcome lobby, two studios for rehearsals, a small kitchen and two administrative offices. Flooring was donated by Avalon Carpet, Tile and Flooring, and Hartman Construction Services donated time and material for renovations.
A set and costume shop is in the works and will be located at 712 West Avenue. The shop will begin selling professional costumes in the fall.
Adorning the walls of the lobby are posters from past shows, a large section for merchandise display and a desk for the company's interns. The space will work as office, rehearsal place and informational center for patrons.
"To plan a full season, there needed to be a home base. We have dates booked in October for a fall show. We will be doing the Thanksgiving parade again, and we have 'A Christmas Wonderland.' "
This year, Hartman has put together a show choir of 16 select high school kids that will perform around town at various dates and at the Independence Day Parade in Philadelphia.
The company's summer season will include many shows for all age groups from children's theater to popular Broadway. For information about camps and classes, visit the Ocean City Theatre Company website.
- Broadway on the Boardwalk, featuring two-time Tony award nominee Mary Testa, 7:30 p.m. June 27, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $20 orchestra, $18 solarium.
- Crazy for You, with the Ocean City Pops Orchestra, 7:30 p.m. July 1, 3 and 5 with a 2 p.m matinee July 5, Hughes Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $25
- Broadway Brunch, a fundraiser honoring Maestro William Scheible of the Ocean City Pops and featuring special guest emcee Cathy Gandolfo from Channel 6 ABC, 11:30 a.m. July 8 at the Atlantic City County Club. Tickets are $75, and seats can be reserved by calling 609-398-1118.
Summer Children's Theater Series:
- Alexander and The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, 10:30 a.m. July 9, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $9.
- The Three Bears, 10:30 a.m. July 16, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $9.
- Red Riding Hood's Woods, 10:30 a.m. July 23, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $9.
- Charlottes Web, 10:30 a.m. July 30, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $9.
- The Fabulous Fable Factory, 10:30 a.m. August 6, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $9
- Dance Week for kids in 6th to 12th grades. July 30-Aug. 3, Ocean City High School Cafeteria. Call 609-398-1118 for more information.
- Cinderella, with the Ocean City Pops Orchestra, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 14 to 16, Hughes Performing Arts Center. Tickets: $25 adult, $15 children under 12.
- Xanadu, 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Aug. 25 at the Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets: $15 for adults, $13 children under 12. This event has general admission seating. Performed by OCTC Jr. Company of children in 6th to 12th grades.
- Hairspray, with the Ocean City Pops Orchestra, 7:30 p.m. Sept. 2, 4 and 5, Ocean City Music Pier. Tickets : $25 Orchestra and $18 Solarium