July Jubilee Contests on Music Pier Start Today
Food-sculpting and other contests are scheduled for 11 a.m. every day this week.
"Kids" from age 4 to 40-something are invited to play with their food this week.
A week-long series of contests on the Ocean City Music Pier provide a test of creativity in sculpting taffy, french fries and cookies, among other artistic media.
Contestants are broken down into age brackets from 5-and-under to adult, and compete to come up with the most creative sculptures. Winners are awarded ribbons.
The series of free family-friendly contests continues all week and leads to the city's annual Fourth of July celebration. All contests begin 11 a.m. at the Music Pier.
- Monday, June 25: Saltwater Taffy Sculpting (courtesy of Shriver's)
- Tuesday, June 26: French Fry Sculpting (courtesy of The Promenade)
- Wednesday, June 27: That's The Way the Cookie Crumbles (make something out of a giant cookie courtesy of Wards Pastry). Also a Super Hero Impersonation Contest.
- Thursday, June 28: Paper Clip Sculpting
- Friday, June 29: Extreme Hermit Crab Wrestling (an "extremely non-violent contest in which crabs are placed on their backs and race to right themselves).
The contests are free, but pre-registration is required. Just show up about 20 minutes ahead of time.