Historical Images: Ocean City Baptist Church
Our weekly feature includes photographs from the Ocean City Historical Museum collection and from the modern era.
This week's "Then and Now" features Ocean City Baptist Church, located at 10th Street & Wesley Avenue.
When Ocean City Baptist Church was formed in 1898, it was known as Immanuel Baptist Church and met on Asbury Avenue between 8th and 9th Street. The church later moved to the corner of 9th Street and Wesley Avenue. Sometime after 1910, it was moved to its permanent location at 10th and Wesley. Construction of the current building was begun in 1926 and was completed in 1927. At this time he church changed its name to First Baptist Church and in 1933, the church was reorganized and incorporated as Ocean City Baptist Church. An addition was built in mid 1960’s and dedicated in 1966.
The first image shows the church in circa 1940.
The second image shows the church as it appears today.